The mutants and the futuristic world in The Darkest Minds 2018

The story of The Darknest Minds begins when the mysterious disease wipes out 98% of children around the world. The remaining 2% started possessing super powers. The government proceeds to arrest all surviving children in re-education camps and classifies them by color.

The film adaptation of Alexandra Bracken’s novel is expected to make it right from the first part with the chasing, dramatic struggle of the mutants.

Ruby Daly (Amandla Stenberg) is forced to hide his special strength to avoid being killed. With the help of Dr. Cate Connor (Mandy Moore), she begins the journey to escape with a group of friends including Chubs (Skylan Brooks), Zu (Miya Cech) and Liam (Harris Dickinson). But things are not as simple as these boys thought.

The future world is devastating

The Darkest Minds gives the audience a new perspective on the cruel future, when most children in the world are killed by a mysterious virus. Meanwhile, the surviving children become a threat to their loved ones.

Since generations need attention and care, children turn into criminals, they are sent to harsh re-education camps and daily lives are threatened. Right from the first minute, the film raises a series of questions and mysteries about the disease and how humans survived the disaster.

The work reached its climax when Ruby escaped from the camp with the help of Cate Connor. But not as expected, she got lost in another more terrifying world. The 16-year-old girl was forced to stand in the middle of the brutal battle between the factions, where the good-to-bad people became ambiguous.

Not only must she escape from the chase of the cold-blooded bounty hunter, she is also attacked by many other fleeing children. The work makes it difficult for viewers to take their eyes off the screen because of the fast paced movie and a series of knots.

Besides, the skill and action in The Darkest Minds is also a plus point. Super powers such as manipulating objects or discharging … are shown truthfully. Throughout the work is a series of eye-catching confrontations of little mutants.

Romantic love adolescent love story

Not only impressive action scenes, The Darkest Minds is also a lovely adolescent love story of Ruby and Liam.

Liam appeared to help Ruby – she left her parents’ arms since she was young, always living with the cover to hide her super powers and integrate into the world. The affection between them gently arises with small gestures of concern.

Young or even grown-ups will easily see their own image with early vibes or jealous poetry.

In addition, the element of friendship, family affection is another bright highlight. Because of the strange power, the children in the movie are the parents themselves scared and shunned. But they always love and want to find their loved ones despite many difficulties and dangers.

On the other hand, Liam, Chubs and Zu are also considered to be Ruby’s second family. They always trust and protect each other from the government’s hunt. Each member of the group is wholeheartedly devoted to you and willing to sacrifice but never abandon the other.

Although young, but with rich acting experience, Amandla Stenberg easily shows off a strong and assertive Ruby image in the context of the apocalypse. However, her inner self is quite weak with a lot of pain and loss of substance.

Another plus point in the acting part belongs to child actor Miya Cech. The youngest girl in the group with a lovely appearance, always wearing rubber gloves to avoid danger to people around. Although no lines but Zu baby no less emotional, chatter will leave an unforgettable impression on the audience.


Rating: PG-13 (for violence including disturbing images, and thematic elements)
Genre: Mystery & Suspense, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Directed By: Jennifer Yuh Nelson
Stars: Amandla Stenberg, Mandy Moore, Bradley Whitford
Written By: Chad Hodge
In Theaters: Aug 3, 2018 Wide
On Disc/Streaming: Oct 30, 2018
Runtime: 105 minutes
Studio: 20th Century Fox

Sandra Hall
The film is framed so deliberately as a prelude to more exciting times to come in its sequels that it renders the ending oddly anti-climactic.

Ed Potton
None of it is new, none of it is interesting and the storytelling is tissue-paper thin.

Katie Walsh
Despite its radical potential, it’s disappointing to see this story fall back on what’s considered typical teen stuff.

Mike McCahill
The pieces of a potential franchise are put in play here without stakes being raised or pulses quickened.

Author: OKC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *